The Competition Fee is clearly defined in the Fisheries Act (see below) – and it is the responsibility of the Venue (i.e. Lodge) to pay in addition to their Annual fishing licence as a lodge, hotel, whatever. This is not a fee on the individual angler. In addition, this is NOT THE SAME fee that is demanded by the Zambia Sports Council – which presently stands at K50 per competitor.
For simplicity, and the message that we are trying to convey to both Anglers and Competition Organisers, the break down for a ZSFA sanctioned fishing Competition is as follows:
- 1. Each and every Zambian Resident or Citizen angler in a fishing competition is legally required to possess an Individual Recreational Angling Licence from Fisheries. They are not covered, nor absolved, from possessing an Individual Angling Licence by the Lodges annual fishing licence nor the lodges Competition Licence.
- 2. Lodges, hotels, etc. are required to have paid their Annual fishing licence.
- 3. The venue for the competition is, in addition to their annual fishing licence, required to remit a Competition fee of 417 fee units. ( we understand that 1 fee unit = K1.80 ) Per week of competition – and I have doubts that Fisheries would countenance a part thereof payment (i.e. dividing the number of days for the competition by seven). Even though that would be the legally (and mathematically) correct approach.
- 4. The Zambia Sports Council charges K50 per competitor. This is normally built into the Entry Fee and collected by the ZSFA for remittance to the Zambia Sports Council.
- 5. ZAWA charges for Park Entry AND a further angling fishing permit in National Parks in addition to boat motor size, camping levy, vehicle parking . This is the Competitors to pay.
The Act is not as clear as maybe it should be, but as an Association we have a duty of care to ensure that our Members that enter fishing competitions are fully compliant with the Law as it stands.
Competitors to Pay
- · Annual Angling Licence Recreational to Fisheries
- · Zambia Sports Council Competitors Fee
- · Membership to ZSFA
- · Any applicable ZAWA fees in National Parks
Venue to pay:
- · Their Annual Fishing Licence
- · Competition Licence at 417 fee units.
We welcome any further comment and debate, but I do hope that the above is clear.